CDC Symptom Diary Card

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Starting on a new trail for now

Hi everyone.

My mom and sister took me to the oncologist today for my post-chemo appointment. I wanted to share a summary of that visit and share a few feelings about my situation.

For the moment, I am in a good situation as far as ovarian cancer goes. The doctor said that I had a good response to the chemotherapy and that for now, the cancer has subsided. The thing I need to look out for is that statistics show that there is a 60% chance of the cancer returning in the cases of my type of ovarian cancer. Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo my "job" is not to focus on the "what if it returns" scenario, but rather try to focus on how I can heal as the new me.

She said it can take a bit of time for chemo to get out of your system and six months to a year to recover. Because this has been a life altering experience, I cannot expect to return to be the person I was before the cancer. My life is different now.

My hopes are that in taking each day step by step, that I will eventually be able to embrace my new life, not worry about statistics, and live with eternal gratitude for all of God's blessings.

The cancer center is going to monitor me closely for two years minimum, which is great. I couldn't have asked for a better outcome. I have been so blessed, so fortunate. My family and friends have been amazing and could never have made it through this ordeal without you all.

I have come a long way from surgery, surgical recovery, and chemo. Eight months ago I needed help getting in and out of bed and now I'm finished with chemo, ready to get stronger.

In the beginning I was so so so angry at the healthcare system, some of my doctors and insurance restrictions and now I couldn't be happier with my doctors and insurance. Insurance is another blessing. Thank you again Mandy and Patrick!

I have a lot of mixed emotions (which is normal) but for certain am very happy today. I know I am rambling a bit, sorry for that. I just wanted to tell you the good news. I still have odds and end things to do for the next few years, but hopefully the hardest part is over.

Thank you again to all my family and friends that have selflessly helped me throughout this process. I love you!

Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for giving to me your precious time. I look forward to what you have to say. Peace and Blessings, Always.