CDC Symptom Diary Card

Monday, June 06, 2011

Nightmares and job hunting

My mood is edgy, angry a bit, overwhelmed and begging for an answer to my "why".  I met with my vocational developer today to start the process of actually applying for new jobs.  It was as if nothing I'd said before about my needs, wishes, accommodations and preferences was heard.  I know it was, it's just that the reality of job hunting is not soaking in like a smooth bubbly bath, more like a how a hard wave of water slaps you in the face, ouch.

Speaking of water, before I get into the hurdles for today, I have to tell you about ongoing dreams that I've been having lately.  For the past few nights I have been dreaming that I am staying at this luxury hotel, sounds great right, except that everything that happens is weird and spooky.

Last night I jumped into the deep end of the spa pool feet first, and never touched bottom.  I remember feeling the rush of water sweeping upward along my body, desperately searching for the edge, to stop or spring up.  I can't remember how I surfaced, but I eventually did.  I thought I was going to drown. Then I was in a getaway car and one of my little nieces was in the driver seat.  She was laughing and having a ball driving this huge car, and I was hiding from an ex-boyfriend.  Then suddenly my sister and her husband lived in the luxurious hotel, and I was shown into the massive kitchen.  

The kitchen was made of all 1" square old fashioned blue tiles, everything was the same color, including the food and sink.  Then her husband offered me some licorice covered with frosting. My sister welcomed me for a tour, but I woke up before it started.

I have no clue what any of this means.

Some of you may know that I am one of many women who were misdiagnosed and because of stupid doctors in California, I was diagnosed with an advanced stage of ovarian cancer.  Being forever grateful to God for my excellent surgery and chemo, I am lucky to be alive.  

To get to the point of today, I'm lucky to be alive, but feel like I have no control over what is left of my future.  I am doing OK with cancer so far, NED.  

If I want to be able to live independently, I'll need more income.  If I want to enjoy life and take a trip, I'll need more money.  If I want to give at Christmas, I'll need more money.  You see where I'm going here.

Today, my job developer pulled several possible job opportunities that she thought would suit me.  All of them are too far away, some only paid $10, most have expectations I cannot do or require skills I don't have.  Her approach is more like tossing a bunch of spaghetti on the wall and seeing what sticks.  My approach is to be laser focused so I'm not running around with my head cut off.

She is right, I just need to get out there and apply.  She guaranteed me that she will be my advocate and help me with accommodation requests etc, AND she can help communicate with the human resources department once I've submitted an application to help move the process along.

I am very lucky to have this kind of support,  I have fought very very hard to receive it.

My question is this:  Why is someone who has a high risk of recurrence being forced to go back to work?  Why can't I just ask the lousy gynecologist who ignored my symptoms, and didn't do a bi-manual pelvic exam, to give me money to live on so I can be happy?  Oh I forgot, he isn't held accountable for ruining my life.  (At least that's how I feel at this second........)

How do cancer survivors travel the world?  I'll never see that day.

My job developer is trying to understand, she knows I just want a job where I come home and feel good about what I did at the end of the day.  I don't want it to be more than 15 minute commute, because it's only part time.  I get tired, I get exhausted.  I don't want a long commute for a part time job, unless it pays really really well.  I'd love to work for an organization that helps people with cancer.

Hence, why am I being treated like I'm asking for the world when I say I want to to work from home, no sales.  Is that too much to ask?  PLUS, a job working from home allows me to work while on treatment if I have a recurrence, so that I can keep money coming in.  Geeze.

I hate this, competing with able bodied people who can burn the midnight oil.  I can't.......never could.

I don't deserve this ongoing heartache. I'm physically and emotionally spent when it comes to jobs and job hunting.  I don't want to play games, I just want to do worthwhile work and in the process of doing so, do that work in such a way that it doesn't kill me by stressing me out or exhausting the heck out of me.  Again, I ask too much.

Ever since I lost my career in the mid 1990's I have been struggling so badly and when I got cancer I had a good job with benefits, and had to move to Seattle.  I had no choices here.  For most of those other years I rented rooms in people's homes because I couldn't afford my own apartment, California is expensive.  I lived like a gypsy.  I don't want to be a gypsy any more.  

I am starting over again and hating it.  But I will pull through somehow, with the Grace of God.  Life could be worse, so I know I'm much better off than a lot of other people.  I do know that.....I just want a break.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for giving to me your precious time. I look forward to what you have to say. Peace and Blessings, Always.