CDC Symptom Diary Card

Friday, September 14, 2012

Open Letter to Facebook

After you read the letter, please see the notes
 from my conversation with the sales department
 at Facebook.  

She was so nice.  I really appreciated her time.  

I don't have $50K.

Dear Mark Zuckerberg,

Here at "Turn Facebook Teal to Heal" have almost doubled our goal!  Men and women around the world are asking for Teal Facebook Pages in September in honor of Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month.

Below is a PSA from Joe Girardi of the Yankees, because his mom died of ovarian cancer.  
I have been researching the FB platform even more and find that the only place for a PSA is the sign in page.  Will you please consider linking this PSA to your sign in page and changing it's color to Teal?   

http://www.causes.com/causes/651059-teal-to-heal-turn-facebook-teal-in-september/actions/1678558


New York Yankees' Manager Joe Girardi speaks about losing his mother to Ovarian Cancer. He discusses the signs and symptoms of ovarian cancer. Together we can break the silence on ovarian cancer! Public Service Announcement by the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition - www.OVARIAN.org .  Published on Apr 5, 2012 by NOCCNational



On my blog you will also see a badge that links followers to the CDC, so that anyone can get materials about this deadly disease.  It kills 4 out of 5 women.  


I saw that Facebook is stories now, as part of it's platform.  I am so pleased to see that.  But those stories are not seen before someone signs in.

Please take this unique opportunity to demonstrate the goodwill efforts of Facebook to all individuals, both members and non-members, by linking this PSA to your sign in page and changing the color to Teal in September of 2012.

(This was emailed to Facebook sales and marketing departments on 09-13-12, one of many so far)
.......................................................................................................................................................
09-14-12

I just contacted the sales department by phone  800-608-1600 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting to ask if they are willing to post a PSA on their sign in page about ovarian cancer.  The representative was overly polite given she could not help me. 

I was told to create a FAN page and use my FAN page to raise awareness.  

I don't agree with that but I will work on one so that the same people who are my friends and petitioners and members of my cause page can "like" me and eventually spread the word.  They already know about ovarian cancer and want you to help us raise awareness.

My goal is to get the message out to people who have never heard of ovarian cancer.  There is no screening test.

  The best chance we have at a long survival is to detect it early.  It's a time bomb ticking away in our bodies and most doctors and gynecologists misdiagnose it.  Literally it's a sneaky bastard, a killer.

So I asked about advertising.  She said that if I could raise 50K dollars we could begin a conversation to do the following:

Turn Facebook's sign in page "TEAL"
Place a badge to the CDC  or PSA link for a Video
And state that this is ovarian cancer awareness month

So much money has already been spent on producing PSAs that are already available to be used.  It would cost Facebook next to nothing to change the color of one page to Teal and add the badge and blurb about ovarian cancer.  

Facebook has only recently started using their sign in page's premium real estate for advertising.  

I don't want to preach to the choir any more.  My friends already know about ovarian cancer.  

We are not a sea of teal yet.  We are a small but feisty group that suffers terribly the side effects of major abdominal surgeries to remove everything but the kitchen sink. Our voices are strong, but spread all over the world.  We are not concentrated in dense populations so we are hard to see.

Our grassroots efforts are making a huge difference, but we don't have time to wait for this message to grow in small stages.  We don't have a screening tool!   

I am asking Facebook to make an exception to the advertising policy and give back to the community that loves them by offering PSA's on their sign in page.  Do something good for the community and begin with our cause.

You will save many lives!

Thank you,
Denise Archuleta


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for all your effort. It is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen,

    Your supportive words are very welcome. I don't want to let anyone down, so I will not stop asking.

    I am going to continue to expand my resources and outreach, and keep the conversation going.

    Thank you for your healing works.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for giving to me your precious time. I look forward to what you have to say. Peace and Blessings, Always.